Amazon's Turkey 5 Record-Breaking Sales Success
Coming off the "Turkey 5", a term coined for brands and retailers as the five day shopping rush between Thanksgiving Day through Cyber Monday, including Black Friday, Amazon has announced record-breaking sales, yet again. 2018's Cyber Monday marking Amazon's single biggest shopping day in the company's history with the most products ordered worldwide.
Compared to last year, shoppers ordered millions more products during the Turkey 5 than during the same time period last year. In fact, Amazon customers worldwide ordered more than 18 million toys and more than 13 million fashion items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, combined.
In a statement released by Amazon, “Black Friday and Cyber Monday continue to break records on Amazon year over year, which tells us that customers love shopping for deals to kick off the holiday shopping season,” stated Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “With curated gift guides, convenient shopping experiences, incredible product selection, and free shipping with no minimum purchase amount, Amazon offers customers tremendous value—sure to deliver smiles all season long.”
Our Advertising and Account Strategy teams took no rest over the Turkey 5 either, working around the clock on adjusting bids, monitoring inventory and deals, as well as fixing any product listing glitches to create the best customer shopping experience. Almost all of our clients saw the same record-breaking growth that Amazon did!
Holiday Weekend Highlights
- Sales by small and medium-sized businesses worldwide grew more than 20 percent on Black Friday year-over-year.
- Throughout the Turkey 5, Amazon.com customers ordered more than 180 million items.
- Prime members got into the Christmas spirit over the holiday weekend—Christmas lights were a bestseller on Prime Now.
- The best-selling products at Amazon 4-star and Amazon Books over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot, Becoming by Michelle Obama, the Amazon Smart Plug, and the L.O.L. Surprise Series toys.
- The best-selling products at Amazon Pop-Up device kiosks over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot and the Amazon Smart Plug.
- Customers ordered more than four million toys and electronics on the mobile app on Black Friday.
- The best-selling products across Amazon.com on Cyber Monday included the all-new Echo Dot, AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing Ethnicity, Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for Apple devices, Becoming by Michelle Obama, Jenga, and Instant Pot DUO60 – 6 Quart
Did more shoppers head to Amazon.com than to physical stores on Black Friday?
While Black Friday will still be sited a brick-and-mortar's busiest shopping day of the year, with Amazon seeing record-breaking numbers one has to wonder if shoppers chose to avoid the chaos and the lines and checkout from their couch. Forbes Senior Contributor, Andria Cheng states, "Visits to physical stores, where the bulk of the industry’s sales is made, continued to slow. RetailNext, which measures store traffic and other data at more than 425 retail brands, said brick-and-mortar sales on Thanksgiving and Black Friday had dropped by as much as 7% while traffic was down 5% to 9%—at least the fourth straight year when both of those measures declined. The line between physical and online sales is more blurred than ever. Not only did Black Friday, a day once synonymous with in-store shopping, see the day’s biggest online sales ever of $6.2 billion, but online orders from consumers choosing to pick up in stores surged 73% from Thursday to Friday, according to Adobe."
Retailers and brands who synergized both promotional strategies online and in-store are those who are coming out on top after this weekend. Shoppers no longer have to go in-store for that instant gratification of purchasing a great deal this holiday, because Amazon has found a way to meet that need. Amazon is offering free shipping to all customers this holiday season, same day deli-every on more than three million items, and having grocery delivery right to customer's doorsteps. Here are Amazon's holiday delivery offerings:
Doorstep Delivery and Convenient Pick Up
- Free Shipping This Holiday: All Amazon customers can shop hundreds of millions of items including every product category with free shipping, and now for a limited time, there is no minimum purchase amount on orders delivered through the holiday season. These items typically ship in 5-8 business days.
- Delivery as Fast as Today: Tens of millions of Prime members can shop with FREE Same-Day Delivery on more than three million items. Place an order in the morning and receive eligible same-day orders before bedtime that very same day, seven days a week – even Sunday. Plus free Two-Day Shipping is available exclusively to all Prime members in the U.S. on more than 100 million items with no minimum purchase amount.
- One Hour Grocery Delivery + Pickup: Prime members can shop groceries from Whole Foods Market through Prime Now in as little as an hour in 60 cities, and grocery pickup in as little as thirty minutes in select cities – making holiday feast planning or last minute baking even easier. And even beyond groceries, Prime members can use Prime Now to get one- and two-hour delivery on tens of thousands of items across dozens of categories in 30 major cities, perfect for last minute parties, gifts or travel.
SIGN UP FOR OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
News, Views, and Valuable Resources
Delivered to Your Inbox Each Week