Commerce Knowledge Drop: Platform Updates for Amazon and More
Code3's Commerce team is up to date on the latest information about Amazon and other marketplaces. Check out our monthly knowledge drop to see everything you need to know, curated by our award-winning Commerce team.
We'll add everything we know to this page each month so you can stay as in-the-know as our expert team members.
Check out our updates for May.
DSP Amazon Ad Tags (AAT) Replacing Simple Pixel. Instead of creating individual pixels per page, AAT is compatible with tag managers for easier deployment. Benefits include:
- Can use one tag to capture multiple events and attributes across the site
- Coverage on all browsers for signal capture
- Events captured within the tag can be used for conversion measurement
- Reporting support for 10 pre-defined events and one customizable event
Top-of-Search Bid Multipliers (LinkedIn Post). In the Amazon Ad Console, advertisers are now able to set top-of-search budget multipliers directly from within the campaign overview. While this is convenient, it will likely inflate CPCs, and we will have to be more strategic about proper placement bid management.
Updated Dimension Attribute Requirements for 532 Product Types (Vendor Central Article). Effective April 24, 2023, Amazon will provide new product-specific dimension attributes for 532 product types. The new attribute definitions are clear and specific to product types. These attributes will be optional for at least 30 days after which they will become mandatory. If values are not updated, customers may see incorrect or incomplete information on the detail page. Note: Package dimension attributes and fees are not affected by this change.
Editorial Recommendation Removed from Amazon SERPs in Early April (LinkedIn Post). According to Momentum Commerce, Amazon removed Editorial Recommendations from search results on April 6th, which previously owned large SERP real estate across popular searches. Editorial Recommendations were part of Amazon’s On-site Associates Program, where popular products were eligible for inclusion if a publisher site (ie Simplemost) wrote a favorable review of the product.
“Highly Rated” sponsored product modules have since taken more ownership within search results, alongside the organic feature sets that include Climate Pledge Friendly and Amazon’s Choice product carousels.
Search Query Keywords Highlighted Within Titles of SERP Placements. Amazon is testing bolding keywords from the shopper’s search query throughout the SERP placements. The feature alerts consumers to how relevant a listing is to their search, but it also hints at the importance of incorporating key search terms into titles.
The tested feature also reaffirms the fact that brands do not need to include exact match keywords in order to rank well for the keyword.
Amazon Brand Store Metrics (All from Amazon US internal data).
- Shoppers who browse a Brand Store during their shopping journey purchase 56.5% more frequently (June 2022).
- Brand Stores adding video for the first time see an average 44% increase in shopper dwell time in the next two months, compared to those who don’t. (Aug – Dec 2022)
- Adding best-selling products or recommended products tile to a sub-page of their Store for the first time see an average 37% increase in shopper dwell time in the next two months, compared to those who don’t (Aug – Dec 2022).
Walmart Redesigns App and eCommerce Site (Forbes Article). Walmart is revamping its digital storefront, creating a more engaging way to browse and discover its assortment. Quotes:
- “The new homepage offers a product-focused experience that better mirrors the way our customers love to shop, highlighting the items that matter most to them at any given moment – whether it’s game day or holiday."
- “The feature-packed homepage has rich imagery, live video, and is optimized to better bring Walmart’s massive assortment to life, including a new social-inspired scroll, so customers can browse our selection just as they’d scroll their favorite social media apps."
Check back next month for more commerce knowledge! In the meantime, contact us now to learn how we can help your brand succeed in marketplaces like Amazon, Walmart, and more.
SIGN UP FOR OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
News, Views, and Valuable Resources
Delivered to Your Inbox Each Week